Sidst opdateret 22. september 2023
What is product metadata?
Product metadata refers to structured information and descriptive attributes associated with a product. This data provides additional context and details about the product, helping to categorize, identify, and understand it better. Product metadata plays a crucial role in various aspects of e-commerce, digital content management, data organization, and information retrieval. It helps both businesses and consumers make informed decisions and manage products effectively.
What types of information are included in product metadata?
Product metadata typically includes a range of information such as:
- Basic information about the product’s name, brand, manufacturer, SKU or UPC numbers.
- A brief or detailed description of the product, highlighting its features, specifications, and benefits.
- Specific characteristics of the product, like size, color, material, weight, dimensions, and other relevant specifications.
- Detailed technical data, particularly relevant for products like electronics, machinery, or software.
- Information about the product’s price, any discount or promotions, and its current availability status (in stock, out of stock, pre-order, etc.).
Product metadata enhances product listings, helping customers find and understand products. It improves searchability, enables effective categorization, and supports informed purchasing decisions.
Product metadata, including keywords and descriptions, aids in optimizing product pages for search engines. This improves the chances of products being found in online searches.
Product metadata informs personalized recommendations by considering a customer’s preferences and behaviors, suggesting products that align with their interests.